Monday, September 5, 2011

Drive by blogging...it's a quickie!

Talked to my mom yesterday and she shared a new recipe for Italian Zucchini Crescent Pie with me that is making the rounds in the retirement community she lives in. It all sounded great until she got to the smearing of the yellow mustard. I'm always up for quick and easy, but there are some places I won't go. Smearing 2 tbsp of yellow mustard on anything is a recipe don't for me...so I've made some minor alterations. I will post the actual recipe with my modifications in red....you can smear at your own risk.

Btw, the original recipe comes by way of Pillsbury from Millicent Nathan, circa 1980.



Italian Zucchini Crescent Pie

2 tbsp butter (substitute olive oil)
4 cups thinly sliced zucchini
1 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder (1 clove garlic, crushed)
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
3 eggs, beaten
2 cups shredded cheese, cheddar, muenster, etc (I used 1 cup)
1 can Pillsbury crescent rolls (I used reduced fat version)
2 tsp yellow mustard (I can't say NO loud enough! Substitute 1/4 tsp mustard powder) 

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In skillet saute zucchini and onion in olive oil, add spices and mustard powder, saute until tender. Approx 7-8 minutes.

Seperate dough into triangles, line 10-inch glass pie plate (or 12x8 2qt casserole), patchwork crust pressing over bottom and up sides, firmly pressing perforations to seal. This is where Millicent and my mother would have you spread the yellow mustard on top of the crescent crust. Do it if you want, but don't tell me about it!

Add zucchini mixture on top of crust, pour beaten eggs evenly over zucchini and top with shredded cheese.

Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment